Monday, February 2, 2015

Corona, Sixth Street

Today I made 84 dollars.

Today was my first day at Vibe Management. They call it 'Management' because they're supposedly training us to be managers. Supposedly, only 20% of us make it. Supposedly.

Last week was my last week at my previous job at TOP Normandie. I was an after school teacher, and I loved my job. I had planned to stay there while going to school to get my teaching credentials. I only realized a month ago that I want to be a teacher.

My mom misled me into quitting the job I loved by acting as though our family was in financial despair, and she needed me to make enough money to support the family. She didn't lie, exactly, but she guilt tripped me by telling me that she and my dad were unemployed now and had no money. For several months now, she kept dropping hints about financial struggles. She talked loudly on the phone so I can overhear, she made me go to the bank for her to make suspicious transactions. My dad did not do any of these things, but my mom, as little as I trust her, I trust her even less now.

Even if I become rich some day because of her actions, I do not appreciate it. I told her that I loved teaching and that I wanted to be a teacher, and she led me away from it. I'm pretty bitter about it.

Especially since I talked to my dad last week, so I could know the fine details of our financial struggles. Turned out we have no problems. Our condo is paid for, and my three sisters send my parents enough money on a monthly basis to sustain them.

So there was no rush for me to quit my after school job.

Even at the end of the day, when my mom asks me how my day at work went, her selfishness is transparent. It's obvious that she doesn't care about me, but only about what she can tell her friends so she can feel better about herself as a mother. She doesn't care about what I want, she just doesn't want to feel embarrassed when she's with her friends whose sons are more 'successful' than I am.

My first impression of Vibe Management was not good. I applied online through Monster, but only because I was attracted to the first line of the company's pitch: Are you sports minded?

Now, that led me to believe that this company would be related to sports, something that I have loved my entire life and will continue to love until I die.

I sent in my resume on Wednesday, and the next day, I got a phone call. I did a quick phone interview with a girl named Michelle (or Maritza, I don't know) and she seemed to be reading off some script, so it was easy for me to give generic answers that she wanted to hear. So I got an interview.

I came 20 minutes late because I couldn't find the stupid place, and Michelle wasn't picking up the phone even though she had called me earlier in the day to remind me of my interview, that the office was difficult to find, and to call her if I got lost. I nearly gave up and went home. But I was already in the area (near LAX), I was all dressed up, and I figured I might as well go through with him.

I met Sandy, the CEO, whose name I forgot because I was so focused on trying to get Michelle (or Maritza's) name right. I still don't know. Sandy was cool. I basically acted super duper confident and landed a second interview on Monday.

On Monday, I met up with Spenser, who took me out to the field, and he's my leader. He acted cool by giving me the answers, but I don't think I needed them. He deliberately ignored a question I asked him. He said I needed to know the 5 steps of conversation. I was like whats that? he was like oh you'll learn it later. He got zero sales the entire morning then sent me back. He liked talking about his life. Maybe nobody listens to him and he needs somebody to talk to.

When I get the job from Sandy, I meet Jared, who seems cool, too. They say Sandy's name several times, and I even take her business card. I answer all the questions perfectly and she gives me the job.

I text Spenser my thanks and he gives me a call later at night so congratulate me. I was a bit drunk from having celebrated with my friends so I was a bit annoyed when he called. But I wanted to be professional and appreciate. Later, I questioned his motives, since I knew nothing about the whole leader/pyramid structure.

I went in twice that week in the mornings to learn about the place, and I learned it was not what I expected at all.

There were no chairs, no rooms, no nothing. Everyone stood in a room. I bought into the speeches.
Whatever doubts I had, the speeches always squashed them, as if they were reading my mind, as if that part of the speech was dedicated only to me. Well, the other new guys, too, I guess.

The Friday before I started, I had massive doubts. I was sure it was a pyramid scheme. And I had so many questions to squash it.

Spenser, in the morning, couldn't remember the stuff he was supposed to teach me. He acted mad at me because I remembered some of the earlier stuff he taught me and for some reason, he expected meto know stuff he never taught me. Then, when he asked me a question and I gave him the correct answer, he told me I was wrong, until somebody told him. I tried to rub it in his face in a joking way, but he seemed sensitive about it.

The speaker, some Brock James, from New York, first thing he says is that it's not a pyramid scheme then explains it in really tough words I don't understand. He asks if anyone is confused. I'm confused, but I'm also a coward so I don't say anything. I figure I'll ask Spenser on the drive to wherever we go.

On the drive there, I ask him questions that should have direct answers, but he goes telling a story I'm not interested in. I have to dial it in to get answers from him, which I eventually do, though I worked unnecessarily hard for them.

We went to Corona, and the first person we talk to, Spenser busts out Spanish, and I know Corona is packed with Mexicans. I know this because my college roommate, Mike, lives in Corona and has mentioned in more than one occasion. I try talking to a couple people but they just speak Spanish to me, and I don't even want to try.

A nice lady comes out of the car, and she actually buys a set. Buys me, it seems. I already have the sale before Spenser comes and says "it's his first day!" As we walk away, he takes credit for the sale because of what he said, and I let him believe it.

I guess I'm fake, too.

We go into Wells Fargo, and he tries to get us kicked out, but the lady is too nice.

When we go outside, we see a homeless black lady talking to herself. He gestures to her and says "wanna have a fun convo?" I figure why not, and he's probably watching, waiting to criticize me for wasting time when this crazy lady obviously isn't going anywhere.

Then, by some divine miracle, this random white lady comes to us and decides to buy the set for the black lady, who has two great beards going on. Spenser walks away, obviously disgusted. The white lady comments on how slimy he looks, but she likes me. They both talk for so long. The white lady is a super Christian and prays for all of us. Even gives me a 20$ tip.

Spenser is pissed I'm high rolling him, and he's sour. We preach having a good attitude every day, yet it's hard for me to maintain mine when my very own leader is upset at me, his trainee, for doing so well in my first half hour.

After the prayer, I don't sell a single thing. Everyone speaks Spanish and just look super upset.

At a parking lot, I approach a young girl with her mother sitting on the curb and I drop on them.

I try some different methods, nothing works. Spenser criticizes my "don't mean to bother you" routine. says if I think it, then it's true. I actually like that. I go into my sales with more confidence, and I get better results, perhaps not a sale, but a better reaction.

The people here seem to hate Spenser. They ignore him consistently, but they don't ignore me.

It's crazy who buys. It's the ones I least expect. I choose a girl over a guy when two of them are going different directions, yet when the girl rejects me, the guy asks me what I'm selling. We talk, I make my pitch, and way later in the day, he buys from me when he sees me in his car.

At a bus stop, I try to pitch to a nice looking lady, yet it's the bum who asks to see it, then buys it.

Deep in a parking lot, two gangsters seem eager to buy it. I don't even need to sell. They tell me I'm a bad salesman. Then they each buy one.

My problem today is that I didn't try to sell the other stuff. The real money makers. The ones that double my cash.

I find time to text themikelou and we meet up and catch up for a bit as I lose Spenser at the end of the day.

Spenser reprimands me at the end of the day for using my phone too much.

Back at the office, he blames me for losing the iron. Possible scam?

He asks me questions on the positives and possible improvements I can make, but doesn't let me answer them because he just wants to say it all.

We get summoned into Jared's office, and he gives me an extra 10 bucks, which puts me at 86. Perfect for 504 for the week if I work six days.

The girls are so encouraging. I don't know how to respond. Andrew, the one other Asian guy, too. But he talks a lot if you let him. He's a big shot or something in the office because he's climbing faster than anyone, has the best protege in this girl named Casey, and he supposedly quit a 6 figure job to work here.

I hear the same stories, which make me suspicious. At the end of the day, I made money, but I don't know if it was worth the work I put in. I have to get better, I know.

Afterwards, I go eat with Abe Luis Sean and Jeannie Claire. I'm way too tired to socialize. I just want to go home. Everything said and done is just blockage to home and sleep. I drive Lu home. Times like these are nice. Where we can just talk candidly about our lives in a relaxing atmosphere.

I come home, I shower, I brush my teeth. I write. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment